Friday, October 22, 2010

An unexpected gift

I have a good friend who, when driving, takes many different routes to get from the same point A to the same point B.  It was quite confusing at first, driving on those Kentucky roads with her at the wheel and me in the passengers seat.  Eventually, I got used to it and slowly gained my bearings.  When we first moved to Kentucky, and lived in a hotel for three weeks, Dallin and I would often go for drives around town.  I would mostly get lost, but somehow, always found my way back to our temporary living quarters.  After gaining a lay of the land, I would take the same routes here and there so I wouldn't get lost any longer.  Fast forward a couple years later, and I found myself driving all over the place again, exploring this neighborhood or that, enjoying a change in the scenery.  All this, because my friend unknowingly taught me that driving a different way can be fun.  I thought of this today, as the kids and I went to have our weekly "picnic in the parking lot" for dinner with Paul at his work.  We wandered through neighborhoods one way and wandered a different way back.  The kids seem to really enjoy it as well.  Thanks "good buddy" for the unexpected gift of taking a different route and enjoying the scenery.

No comments: