Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's nice to be important, but it is important to be nice.

I have a problem. When people say or do something that in any way hurts my feelings or offendes me at all, or are this way to ther people and I witness it, or be they are just being dumb, I would smile through it and try to be as nice as possible. Then I would leave and be really mad and think of all the mean things that I could have said or done. Or there are also times when I am be so mad about it that, situation given, I try to go back and be mean, which, luckily, Paul would stop me from doing. I recently heard a story that has changed the way that I want to TRY to be afterwards and before and during.

Kalli's mom was having a bad day. She had so many important errands to run and so little time to do them. One thing she had to do before a certain time was run some paperwork into a building on BYU campus. She didn't have time to park in the visitor parking and so she pulled into the first service parking space she could find in front of the building. She and her son got out of the car and ran into the building. They were in there five minutes, came out, and found a post-it note on the windshield of their car. It read: Next time you park so close to me, please leave a can opener so that I can get into my car. (My first thought was, haha, that's a funny one! Shame on me.) Kalli's mom started crying when she read that note. She was having such a horrible, busy day, and this note finally broke her spirits completely. Her son took the post-it note and put it in his wallet. Twenty five years later that same note is still in his wallet. He keeps it there to remind him to always speak and act kindly to everyone, no matter the situation.

I am resolving to be nicer to people, especially after, when I want to think of ways that I could have been mean. Chances are, they are having a bad day or maybe their dog died. We never know how our actions will affect others.

No comments: