Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's inside!

Pulling up in the driveway, late at night, our headlights catch the shadows of our Subaru already parked in the driveway. Putting the car into park, we both open our doors to unload the sleeping children in the back. Then the shadows move! I jump back into the safe car and slam the door. Brave Paul stays out of the car to further inspect.

"It's a raccoon!" He whisper-yells to me, "Where's the camera?!"

"Inside," I whisper-yell back.

"A raccoon!! Where's the camera?!?!" Paul, again, whisper-yelling as I watch the monster with black beady eyes and rabie-like teeth pounce around in the car in front of me.

"Inside!" This whisper-yelling is getting old.

"A raccoon! Where is the camera????!!!!"

"Inside!"

"A raccoon! Where is the camera????!!!!"

"Inside!"

"A raccoon! Where is the camera????!!!!"

"Inside!"

"A raccoon! Where is the camera????!!!!"

"Inside!"

"A raccoon! Where is the camera????!!!!"

"Inside!"

You get the point. By this time, the raccoon had gotten sick of all the whisper-yelling as well and exited the vehicle, departing from our presence in search of some other unsuspecting mode of transportation.

Here's the translation of our whisper-yelling confusion: It's hard to inflect a lot of emotion into a whisper-yell sometimes.

In Paul's head, "There is a raccoon INSIDE the car, will you please tell me where the camera is?"

In Kristen's head, "The camera is INSIDE the house. Go get it, already! I am not getting out of this car!!"

The moral of the story: You don't get a picture of the raccoon because it's really hard to whisper-yell! But our kids stayed asleep.

4 comments:

Renee said...

I swear I can scream louder when I whisper because of a lot of old fashioned practice. Especially when we lived in apartments!

I have the funniest image of you and Paul. Thanks for the story!!!

Lorie said...

A racoon tried to eat me a couple of weeks ago when we were on vacation. I swear it was as big as I was!

Julie said...

THis is great! You must attract racoons Kristen--remember when there were six of them on Terry's porch when we went Visiting Teaching?

Stefanie said...

Too bad you didn't get a picture, but it makes a funny story!